Friday, May 19, 2006

Welcome To My Garden




This is some of what I have been doing during my ‘off’ time. Playing in the dirt can be very therapeutic! I’ve planted tomatoes (3 kinds), bell peppers (green and red), banana peppers, okra, cantaloupe, cucumbers, squash, eggplant and some dill (in the pot in the corner).

Now, considering I have a total of 8 tomato plants, I have to be creative with how I use them. 8 plants, treated well, produce A LOT of tomatoes. This recipe is one of my all time favorites. I have about 10 green tomatoes on my plants right now. I sure hope they are big enough by the weekend! I love Fried Green Tomatoes for Sunday breakfast!

Fried Green Tomatoes

Two large, firm, green tomatoes freshly picked from the vine
1 cup corn meal
½ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Bacon grease
Cast Iron Frying Pan

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large Ziploc bag. Slice tomatoes in approximately ¼ inch slices. Sprinkle tomato slices with a bit of water. Put tomatoes in Ziploc bag and shake well. Be sure the slices are thoroughly coated. Remove slices one at a time and put in hot bacon grease. Fry about 1 ½ minutes on each side – till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!

No comments: